Internships: How to be an effective intern at a startup|
Startups are the hot thing now, right? There is no better time to work at a startup and interning at one can really jumpstart your professional career. From my personal experience, you learn a lot more than what is stated in the job description. Here are a few pointers that will make your internship at a startup even more worthwhile:
1. Act like an owner: When you’re selected as an intern at a startup, they are investing in you, so make sure you invest in it. Your work should reflect your 100% effort and you should always keep the company’s goals in mind while on the job.
2. Set precedents: As an intern at startup you will wear many hats and pioneer different roles. Make an impact by making sure your assigned roles are set in stone before you leave. Create tutorials, train co-workers, and do whatever it takes to make the lives of others easier.
3. Network: You will be working with the smartest and most innovative people in the industry. Take advantage of the casual environment of startups by setting aside time for one-on-one meetings with colleagues to make connections. These folks will be key in helping you advance your career so make yourself known. (Don’t forget to create relationships with other interns too.)
4. Ask questions: This is your opportunity to fully understand how a company works from an engineering, finance, and marketing standpoint. Don’t be afraid to ask questions if you’re curious about how something works within the company. Your learning doesn’t have to end with the responsibilities of your specific role.
5. Take the initiative: There’s always a demand for something at startups so leverage your skills and go above and beyond what is asked of you. If you see an opportunity, step up!
6. Have coffee with the CEO: If you’re at a small to a mid-sized startup meeting with the CEO will be possible. You will learn a ton and how many other interns can say they have done the same?