Career Discovery Channel: Small Business Coaching with Casey Dawes of Wise Woman Shining|
1. How do you want your name to appear?
2. Describe your first “real” job. What are you doing now?
My first “real” job was a secretary in Medial Records in St. Joseph’s, Ann Arbor, MI. Now I am a business coach, quilter and romance novelest (mostly unpublished.)
3. What was the best piece of advice you’ve received?
“Shit or get off the pot.” Or to put it in a more ladylike fashion – stop bellyaching and do something about your problem.
4. Brag. Tell us about something really great or that you’re proud of or excited about.
I was the first woman president of the International DB2 Users Group (www.idug.org); my first short story was sold a few months ago; my husband and I created the first book on the Santa Cruz Mountain wineries in over 20 years.
5. 40 under 40. Ones to Watch. Most Powerful. So many lists out there….. who is on your list (and why)?
Angie Ledesma is on my list, among many other women who have kept on keeping on, in spite of no education (she put herself and 6 children through school), aids (her husband got a bad blood infusion), men, illness, etc. Laurie Stapleton is on my list – a high school dropout, she graduated with a PhD from Stanford in 2010.
6. What do you plan to accomplish by February?
Finish the 2nd edition of the Santa Cruz Mountains Wine Book, move to a new place (the place we’re renting is going through foreclosure), finish the first draft of my second novel and start two mastermind groups. Oh…Gosh…now I’ve committed!
Kelly Hoey is a co-founder of Women Innovate Mobile.